Client: Healthcare claims processing client
Need: Business Intelligence Competency Center (BICC) and development of a Business Intelligence (BI) Vision and Strategy.
Solution: This project involved the organization of a Business Intelligence Competency Center (BICC) and development of a Business Intelligence (BI) Vision and Strategy.
- The Business Intelligence Competency Center (BICC) is a system organized to support all aspects of BI for an enterprise. BICC serves as a collaboration and knowledge management system to support BI where BI initiatives and tasks are prioritized, defined, directed and implemented. This improves decision-making and sharing of best practices. Communication processes are improved to help eliminate duplication and report redundancy and provide consistency and uniformity in the report development process.
- The BICC’s contribution and overriding success of BI development is in the creation of a BI Vision and Strategic Plan.
CATCH Intelligence formulated and helped implement a BICC in June 2006, as part of a BI assessment. CATCH Intelligence assisted in the development of a BI Vision and Strategy with an executive sponsor in place. A comprehensive, cross-functional business unit reporting assessment took place in January 2007. During the assessment, CATCH Intelligence assisted the client in prioritizing and identifying two business units based on potential revenue generation. A report development team comprised of 80 percent CATCH Intelligence team members (report and universe developers/designers, project manager/business analyst, and ETL developer) started the project in February 2007. The team developed over 100 Web Intelligence (WebI) and Crystal Reports, multiple dashboards, and 12 universes. The CATCH Intelligence team augmented several internal client projects. One such project was the upgrade of all client-facing Crystal Reports to a newer version. The project also involved changing all reports from an existing company logo to a new logo because the company had been sold during the middle of the project.
CATCH Intelligence designed templates for:
- Report development workflow (lifecycle of report)
- Report requirements documentation
- Technology issues tracking document
- Project Tracking document
- Universe PSPG (Policies, Standards, Procedures, and Guidelines)
- Quality Assurance Process Checklist
- Data Validation checklist
- Report Control guidelines
- Weekly Status report template (Executive sponsor)
- Iteration Review (Business & Executive sponsor)
Other processes developed using the BICC structures were:
- Report development workflow process
- Report change control process
- Universe change control process
- Quality event signoff process
Additional documentation to support the reporting project included:
- Metadata /glossary dictionary of current database systems
- Transition to Production Support Plan
- Report Development Decision Tree
Standard meetings were scheduled for:
- Report Team Status Update FLASH (twice per week) and designed to last 15 minutes or less
- Technology Issues (a weekly review) with the BOE Administrator, IT personnel, and Reporting Technical Lead
- Requirements Review (weekly) for Report Business Owner / User, Developer, Business Analyst to review report requirements and prototypes
- Universe Change Update (once per month)
- Iteration Review with key sponsor and stakeholders (quarterly)
- Project Team Lead Meeting (bi-monthly)
The CATCH Intelligence team also participated in report consolidation and requirements gathering. The team used SharePoint as the primary tool for the report requirements repository where report development signoff was also captured.
The team also designed an Automated File Return Process (AFRP) system that automated the client’s incoming customer files and alerted the appropriate business unit when the files were completed and ready to be worked. This project was instrumental in supporting the client’s goal of addressing and identifying key revenue accounts.
The project was managed using an agile iterative approach with two-week deliverables. The Project Manager also assisted the client with quarterly project status reviews that were delivered to the executive management team.
The project reporting team also developed and implemented several dashboards for use by executives for forecasting and predictive analysis.
Training: CATCH Intelligence provided comprehensive training in WebI, Universe Design and InfoView. CATCH INTELLIGENCE also developed two Computer Based Training (CBT) interactive training programs for the client’s remote locations. The CBT training programs were for InfoView (Parts I and II), and they included training manuals.
Engagement: CATCH Intelligence was engaged for a 16-month period as this client’s Reporting Team. The reporting team provided a two-month transition and mentoring plan before rolling off of this project.